The following materials will be picked up during residential collection. It is the responsibility of the resident to dispose of these items properly by placing them in a City of Chester recyclable container. Contact the City of Chester at 803-581-2123 or 803-581-1405 for more information.
- #1 and #1 plastic bottles and containers
- Aluminum cans
- Brown, clear and green glass bottles
- Corrugated cardboard (like packaging and pizza boxes)
- Magazines under one-inch thick
- Metal food cans; and
- Newspaper and inserts
Items Not Collected
The following materials will not be picked up during residential collection. It is the responsibility of the resident to dispose of these items properly by taking them to the Chester County Landfill. Contact the County Landfill at 803-377-1717 for more information.
- Automobile fluids such as antifreeze, brake fluid or motor oil
- No building materials such as asbestos items, sheetrock, roofing, plaster, plywood or lumber
- No fuel/oil tanks or drums
- Propane or oxygen tanks
- Railroad ties
- Bricks, shingles, concrete blocks or ceramic tiles
- Any items left from a contractor
Curbside Recycling: “Recycle RIGHT!”
Save natural resources, energy and landfill space. Please follow guidelines for curbside recycling in the City:
- Recycle ONLY the seven items listed above. DO NOT place garbage, food, cloths or any other item not listed in your recycling bin. Bins with “wrong” items will not be emptied. Placing unacceptable items or garbage in the bin raises costs, contaminates recyclables and slows the sorting process.
- NO BAGS. DO NOT put items in plastic or paper bags.
- REMOVE any caps and empty containers. Rinse.
- Cardboard containers must be broken down. Place beside the recycling bin.
- Place the recycling bin on curb by 6 a.m. on your collection day. Please remove it by 7 p.m.